Spousal Support/Alimony

Spousal support and child support are not the same.

For those unable to work for physical reasons or who have not been in the job market for a long time, spousal support may be available if ordered by the court in a divorce proceeding. If ordered, it can be paid for an indefinite period, a limited period or as a lump sum payment. Also, the Court can order spousal support to be paid directly or through the Friend of the Court.

Spousal support is for support of the ex-spouse; it is distinct from child support, which is for minor children. Spousal support and child support are NOT interchangeable terms.

Spousal support payments are also payable through the MiSDU (Michigan State Disbursement Unit). The Friend of the Court enforces the spousal support payments upon request or as a result of review of the payment record.